Avoiding CT scans for mild head injury and avoiding psychostimulants for preschool children with ADHD top the list of new recommendations released by Choosing Wisely Canada (CWC) today. View our press release.
Choosing Wisely Canada recommendations of tests, treatments or procedures commonly used that are not supported by evidence and/or could expose patients to unnecessary harm were released by 10 specialties including:
- Emergency Medicine (Canadian Association of Emergency Physicians)
- Hospital Medicine (Canadian Society of Hospital Medicine)
- Nuclear Medicine (Canadian Association of Nuclear Medicine)
- Paediatric Surgery (Canadian Association of Paediatric Surgeons)
- Psychiatry (Canadian Psychiatric Association; Canadian Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry; Canadian Academy of Geriatrics Psychiatry)
- Spine (Canadian Spine Society)
- Transfusion Medicine (Canadian Society for Transfusion Medicine)
- Vascular Surgery (Canadian Society for Vascular Surgery
The Canadian Spine Society has also published a Choosing Wisely Canada patient pamphlet on Treating lower back pain: how much bed rest is too much?