Choosing Wisely Canada is proud to announce its first ever digital book ‘Focus on Choosing Wisely Canada’ through the CMAJ. This book includes Choosing Wisely Canada articles such as Choosing Wisely Canada: conversations about low-value care, applicable practice examples, quizzes, links to the CMA accredited course Confronting Unnecessary Care, and more.
An accredited online module entitled, Confronting Unnecessary Care: Choosing Wisely Canada, has been released.
This module reviews the issue of unnecessary care in Canada and describes the resources and clinical guidance available through Choosing Wisely Canada – a physician-initiated campaign that encourages physicians and patients to have evidence-informed conversations about the necessity of medical tests and treatments so as to eliminate unnecessary care.
After completing this course the learner will be able to:
- Recognize the extent, causes, and potential harm of unnecessary care for both individual patients and the health care system;
- Interpret unnecessary care as a quality issue for which physicians are ultimately responsible and which can only be effectively dealt with by physicians in their practices;
- Reflect on the extent to which they themselves may sometimes provide care that is unnecessary;
- Become familiar with and plan to apply the clinical guidance provided by Choosing Wisely Canada across a variety of specialties;
- Use Choosing Wisely Canada resources to engage patients in evidence-informed discussions of potentially unnecessary care.
This project was funded by unrestricted educational grant from the Canadian Medical Association.
Begin the Confronting Unnecessary Care: Choosing Wisely Canada module now.
Capital Health Nova Scotia has put together a series of 3 short videos about Choosing Wisely:
These videos highlight the importance of appropriateness of care, and for physicians and patients to remember ‘more care isn’t always better’. Thank you Capital Health Nova Scotia for putting these together and emphasizing the importance of Choosing Wisely Canada!