On Wednesday, April 2, 2014, at 10:00am in Ottawa, Ontario, the Wave 1 launch of Choosing Wisely Canada took place in the form of a press conference. Dr. Wendy Levinson sat alongside a group of primary partners of Choosing Wisely Canada to introduce a campaign focused on helping physicians and patients engage in conversations about unnecessary tests, treatments and procedures, and helping physicians and patients make smart and effective choices to ensure high-quality care.
Those who joined Dr. Levinson included:
- Dr. Chris Simpson, Canadian Medical Association
- Dr. Pierre Harvey, Canadian Medical Association
- Dr. Chris de Gara, Canadian Association of General Surgeons
- Dr. Martin Reed, Canadian Association of Radiologists
- Dr. Heather Ross, Canadian Cardiovascular Society
- Dr. Jose Morais, Canadian Geriatrics Society
- Dr. Lisa Bonang, CMA Forum on General and Family Practice Issues
- Dr. Edward Harvey, Canadian Orthopaedic Association
- Dr. Carter Throne, Canadian Rheumatology Association
- Dr. Shirley Chow, Canadian Rheumatology Association
- Dr. Christine Soong, Canadian Society of Internal Medicine
- Dr. Johanna Murphy, Canadian Society of Internal Medicine
- Dr. Jamie Meuser, College of Family Physicians of Canada
www.choosingwiselycanada.org and www.choisiravecsoin.org went live and for the first time Canadian physicians and patients were able to view Canadian specific Choosing Wisely® recommendations and lay materials.
The Choosing Wisely Canada buzz on April 2, and the days that followed, proved the launch’s success.
1. Prominent media coverage by major national outlets included:
- CBC News
- Canadian Press
- Global News
- National Post
- Toronto Star
The campaign was also covered by local media across the country.
2. www.choosingwiselycanada.org was flooded with visitors
We are confident that the momentum will continue. Twenty-two additional Canadian specialty societies are engaged in the campaign and at various stages of recommendation development.
We will continue to work closely with our Wave 1 societies to determine how to best implement their thoughtful recommendations.
We are positively overwhelmed with the Choosing Wisely Canada support we have received from across the country, and would like to give special thanks to our many Partners.